Monday 20 February 2012

Lets talk implantation

Hi guys

I thought I'd chat today about what happens around implantation. I know I've done a piece on implantation bleeding before but didn't get into detail on what happens during the implantation phase.

What is it? Implantation is the act of the fertilised egg attaching itself to the uterine wall. Once this has happened the fertilised egg will remain in the fallopian tube for 3 days. It then enters the uterus where it gets very close to the lining of the uterus and begins to invade this lining to implant.

When does it happen? It typically happens around 6-10DPO or around days 20-24 of your menstrual cycle. This should be used as a guide though as it can happen earlier or later than this. In an average cycle (of 28 days) ovulation typically occurs around day 14. Then (as stated above) the fertilised egg stays in the fallopian tube for 3 days before implanting.

Symptoms of implantation: This is usually quite a gentle process and many women don't have any of the below so don't freak out if you don't get any symptoms. Symptoms can include:
  • Implantation cramps 
  • Implantation spotting or bleeding (see my earlier post)
  • BBT rise
  • Temperature dip for a single day
  • Lower back pain

Whats happening with me? So I'm on day 20 of my cycle. I have done my BBT charting and my temp was 37.0 on day 15 and stayed that way until day 17 when it increased to 37.1 then went back to 37.0 until today (day 20) and it was 37.2 this morning. My symptoms are mild cramps, lower back pain, slight nausea but increased appetite and irritability. Like severe irritability. I was an absolute bitch to my DH yesterday (he was acting like one of the kids, mucking around all day which is how he usually is and I love that about him but nope I didn't like it yesterday!) and was quite short with my kiddies which is not like me. I'm going to keep charting over the next few days to see if I can see an increase/decrease in temps. Will keep you posted!

Thanks for reading!

Mandi O xx

No comments:

Post a Comment