Thursday 2 February 2012

Lets talk coming off birth control

There are quite a few choices when it comes to birth control. I'm going to touch base on the most common ones; birth control pills (this is what I've been using for the last 5 years) , birth control shot (known as Depo shot), birth control implant (implanon) and then less invasive/annoying methods such as condoms or the good old 'pulling out' method...

What is it/how does it work and what happens when I stop taking it?
  • Birth control pills - works by preventing ovulation. The pill releases hormones into your system which prevent your ovaries from eggs. Once you stop taking the pill, the hormones are out of your body quickly, usually within a couple of days and this will then not prevent your eggs from being released. Once the hormones are out of your system, your body will begin to start producing hormones to initiate menstrual cycles. Some women will begin to ovulate in a couple of weeks, whereas it may take several months for other women to begin to ovulate. Generally speaking, your body should be back to "normal menstruation mode" within two to three months after stopping the pill. So don't freak out if for the first couple of months your periods are all over the shop. Once you know you want to come off the pill you shouldn't stop in the middle of a cycle - this will cause you to bleed more infrequently and can be harder to track your ovulation timing. Wait until the first day of your period and then stop taking them (around the end of your packet). I have read that some women don't get a proper period for 6 months after coming off the pill. If that happened to me I'd be getting it checked out. Symptoms from coming off the pill can include irregular bleeding, headaches, weight gain/loss, irritability and skin changes...awesome...
  • Birth control shots & Implants - Same kind of thing as the pill, it releases hormones to prevent the eggs from being released. The shot is an injection whereas the implant is exactly that, something that gets put into your arm and stays there. The shot is effective for 3 months whereas the implanon can last up to 3 years. Once you stop getting the shot/get the implanon removed your body will no longer release the hormone which prevents eggs being released. Symptoms from coming off these include mood swings, weight gain, cramping and irregular bleeding.
  • Condoms - works by blocking the sperm from getting anywhere near the inside of your body! No side effects as they are a 'disposable' type of birth control. Not the most effective method if used without any other type of birth control however as they can tear etc
  • Pull out method - This. Does. Not. Work. I read that 27% of couples that use this as the only method of birth control will fall pregnant.
What happened to me? I have been on birth control pills for 5 years. I was taking a higher dose hormone one to fix up a few other issues I had going on with my body. I finished my packet of pills for the month and stopped taking them after that. 2 weeks later I was bleeding for 4 days and thought this was just a side effect from coming off them and that I should get my 'real' period another 2 weeks later. Therefore I misjudged my ovulation dates completely!! The 4 day bleed was in fact my AF. My body had just got confused as it wasn't get the release of hormones. I got my AF this week so can now (hopefully!) properly track it.

Did you know that women are born with their entire life's worth of eggs?! As we get older the vast majority of these eggs will die off until they are completely gone by the time we hit menopause. We have approx 1million eggs when we are born and by puberty we only have around 300,000 left.

Far out, this TTC business sure does seem near impossible!!

Let me know your birth control stories :)

Thanks for reading!

Mandi O xx

No comments:

Post a Comment